Before & After a Shamanic Healing Session
It is useful to come prepared for a Shamanic Session. The points below are guidelines for you to follow as best as you can.
BEFORE THE SESSION
- Ask your dreams to prepare you to receive healing. In general, it's good practice to ask for healing dreams.
- Abstain from drinking alcohol (or taking recreational drugs) 24 hours prior to the session.
- If possible, spend time in a natural setting the day before the session. This could be a 30 minute walk in the park, the beach, the forest, or simply sitting by a tree.
- Traditionally, shamanism is a community based practice. Therefore, I welcome family member(s) or friend(s) to accompany you and witness your session.
AFTER THE SESSION
- It is best to give yourself some quiet space after the session. Again, go to a natural setting, or sit sipping tea somewhere quiet. I strongly discourage you from analyzing or over thinking the session. Instead, accept and just be.
- If you came with a friend or relative, ask that they let you be in a quiet space without asking questions or engaging in a conversation. You need time to integrate this life changing process.
- No alcohol (or recreational drugs) 24 hours following the session.
AFTER SOUL RETRIEVAL
- It typically takes about two weeks to integrate your soul part that was returned to you, so it's best not to make major decisions during that time.
- Once you have reunited with your lost soul part, it is your responsibility to find a way to make the soul essence feel welcome. That means you need to nourish it with love and compassion. It also means it's up to you to make the appropriate changes to your life to ensure the soul part feels welcome.
- You may feel uncomfortable emotions, such as grief, anger, fear or sadness, which is a normal response for some people. After all, your soul part left because something very unpleasant was happening, and when it returns, some of those emotions and memories come back too. It is a good sign! When you hear and acknowledge your feelings with lots of self compassion, the energy of those emotions and memories will flow through and clear.
- If you don't feel anything, it may mean that either your soul part or you are very defended. Be patient and compassionate. You may want to explore ways to help your soul part feel safe with you like you would with a child. You may also need to do work in learning to feel safe in your life, so you allow yourself to feel what has returned to you. It is a good sign and an opportunity for you to hold yourself in compassion.
- Do you need more than one soul retrieval? I believe that when we find the original cause for the soul loss and bring back the soul part that departed, other soul parts join it like a string of pearls. Yet, soul parts also return according to what your system can handle at that time. If you still feel like something is missing, it may be worthwhile exploring it again.
I recommend a follow-up session in 10-14 days to help you integrate, sort, and anchor the changes that occurred.
I look forward to facilitating and sharing this sacred ceremony with you!
Drum painted by Imelda Almqvist